Monday, March 25, 2013

Ginger-Cilantro Chicken

Ginger-Cilantro Chicken, paired here with Astragalus-Mint tea
Two of our favourite spices to use are ginger and cilantro. They blend beautifully with each other and give us some of our favourite meals. We often use a dab of this and a bit of that as we cook, frequently incorporating Asian spices and blends into our cooking. I made this Ginger-Cilantro Chicken the other day and decided to write down the amounts as I went so I could replicate it more exactly later. This is the result:

  • 1 TBsp lemongrass
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Sriracha to taste
  • 1 cup ketjap manis
  • 1 TBsp orange peel
  • Approximately 1.5 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and diced
  • 2.5 cups of water
  • 2 TBsp cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup freshly washed and cut up cilantro
  • Snow peas
  • Chicken 
I started by putting the lemongrass, salt, pepper, sriracha, ketjap manis, orange peel, and ginger all into a wok and simmered them together for a few minutes. Then I added the water, chicken, and snow peas. When those were just cooked, I mixed in the cornstarch, thickening the sauce just a bit, and tossed in the fresh cilantro. I don't remember if I used fresh garlic this time or not, but I have in the past and it's tasted good. I ate my chicken and sauce over white rice noodles and paired it with some soothing jasmine tea (my favourite), but my husband had his with some astragalus-mint tea for staying power and energy.

This really was one of my favourite meals of recent weeks and one I plan to make again in short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment