Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bryndzové Halušky

One of Andrew and my favourite dishes to eat from Slovakia is bryndzové halušky. I posted a recipe to halušky a paprikaš earlier, and the recipe for the halušky (a cross between a noodle and dumpling) is the same for both foods. Once you make the halušky, if you have access to bryndza (a sheep's cheese) you simply melt it along with bacon and bacon grease into the halušky. However, if you live anywhere near me, you don't, so I use a mixture of butter, feta cheese, and sour cream. The end result is a passable imitation of bryndza. I stir it into the halušky and add plenty of crumbled bacon as well as a fair amount of bacon grease. Stir it all together and serve as a meal of its own. It's quite heavy and fills you up faster than you expect, but is it ever delicious!

Warning: this is a very different taste and texture than most western palates are used to. 

Dobrú chut'!

2 comments:

  1. Just curious how the link embedded in the first paragraph shows up for anyone. On my screen it looks just like the rest of the text, and I'm not sure if it's a setting on this blog that is doing that. (The reference to the previous recipe is an active link.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to trying it.

    Regarding the link, it shows up in regular text for me too (i.e. no underlining). You should be able to change that in your blog template.

    ReplyDelete